Monday, August 08, 2005

Dual Perspectives

I occasionally read Very Small Doses, which is a couple turns to my right and puts a lot more Jesus on my plate than I ordinarily prefer to stomach. However, it's well-written and intelligent, and its author recently brought up a point that I wanted to expand upon. He pointed out that political debate in America has polarized to such a degree that most people subscribe to one of two specific ideology (liberal or conservative) and each paints the other side as totally out of touch with reality.

I mentioned this in the "Two Truths" post, way back in the day. However, I feel like this is somewhat different. It's ceased to be a method of political discourse these days, and people actually buy into it with the zeal of religious fanatics (which, of course, a bunch of them are.) I basically get the same thing from my MoveOn.org e-mails and George Esseff's "What I Am" ad in the Washington Post. The orthodoxy of each side automatically portrays the other guy as misguided and uninformed- and that's using polite terminology.

The best example I've seen of this has been that poor woman protesting outside of Bush's ranch in Texas. As he continues his streak of being the hardest-vacationing president in history, Cindy Sheehan- whose son died in Iraq- arrived with an enormous media entourage to demand an audience with him and ask why her son died. In a move that shocked me, the Bush administration actually sent National Security Adviser Steven Hadley and Deputy Chief of Staff Joe Hagin out to meet with her. (In a move that did not shock me, Bush stayed inside.)

Essentially, this woman demanded to know why her son had died, and wanted all the troops brought home so that the killing would stop. I mean, this woman has pretty much made up her mind about what we're doing in Iraq (it's not worth it) and what we course we should take (get the hell out of Dodge.)

Of course, Steve Hadley and Joe Hagin had made up their minds as well. According to Sheehan, they were "very respectful" but gave her the "party line" about Iraq. For those of you keeping score, the party line is that we are keeping America safe by building an Iraqi democracy (which I don't totally disagree with,) we have to defeat the terrorists (yes, and it would help if we admitted that they wouldn't be there if we weren't) and that Saddam had to go because he was a threat to the free world (which is crap.)

Let's try to break this down. I think Sheehan does a pretty good job of representing the liberal side of the issue, and Hagin & Hadley do a good job of representing the conservative. Forgive me if I add a little more geopolitical detail to this, but here's how the whole thing looks to me.

Liberal: A lot of American troops are getting killed in a war that should never have happened in the first place- we went after WMD that didn't exist and we basically did it alone, because the rest of the world (rightly) told us we were crazy. Keeping our guys there is an attempt to establish an American stronghold in the Middle East, with strategic airbases and access to oil. Our interests would be best served by withdrawing from Iraq, which would free up resources to secure our homeland from terrorists and stop the loss of American troops.

Conservative: American troops are defending freedom in Iraq. WMDs didn't matter. Saddam was a threat to the free world and we've liberated a country. Those who criticize the war are undermining our national unity, and dishonoring the memory of the men and women who have died to advance the cause of freedom. Leaving Iraq before the job is done would send a message to terrorists that, given enough bloodshed, the United States can be intimidated.

I had a hard time even writing that conservative bit, because I simply don't understand the logic of it. For example, a lot of conservatives tell me that while I disagree with the war, the soldiers are fighting to preserve my right to say it. That's garbage. They're fighting because Bush sent them there on false pretenses. Even if Saddam had chemical- no, biological- no, NUCLEAR weapons, and he had lobbed one of them into downtown Manhattan, he wouldn't be threatening my right to say exactly what I felt about it. If the troops were actually defending my right to free speech, I'd grab a helmet and an M-16 and join them.

This is basically turning into Vietnam, with one horrible twist. Middle- and upper-class kids aren't getting drafted, so there is no widespread protest, no swarm of outrage on college campuses. If 3,000 working-class kids die in Iraq, there aren't going to be mass protests to bring them home, because no one with a good job or educational opportunities is left with the military as their only option. The lives of the soldiers in Iraq are no more expendable than the lives of the Bush twins, who Cindy Sheehan recommended be sent to Iraq.

This has been a little disjointed. However, if you have any other point-counterpoints on liberal/conservative issues that simply talk past each other, please e-mail me and let me hear them. I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The quasi-liberal side (and by quasi I mean "intellectuals for whom Aristotelian reification would be an insult but who I put on that side just because) long before the Iraq war criticized (in Elite policy journals eg Foriegn Affairs) the American Gov't (Bush I, Clinton I, Bush II) for NOT committing ground forces but allowing air strikes along with trade embargoes. The commitment of ground troops represents a degree of bravery on the part of our government, and ignorance on the part of our people, for whom divalent analysis of a complex situation will NOT suffice. Our ground troops have been committed, and with some success (success=no more gov't we don't control) and much failure (failure= they die all the time because Iraq is now the focal point of a Jihad by idiots.) Now, what does success constitute? Consider that WWI started in the Balkans. An armpit of an area, but tied to numerous international alliances. An assasination escalated into a war of never before seen proportions.
Likewise, we have an area with similar destabilization, and equivocal animosity (colonial and military inequalities no longer, but religious and materialistic inequalities, yes.) toward eachother and us. Why NOT provide a focal point wherein a standoff can be had. A war that isn't a war. We bleed, and they bleed, and when one of us is run out, we both lose, but we both lose on THEIR TURF. That, I think, is what we now concieve of as success. Control of material ends (oil) aside, and political ends (secure staging point for middle east), I think that on some level we succeed. This is sad. It is a propaganda victory over the American people and a Pyrrhic (fuck how its spelled- I am drunk on Johnny walker black) victory over someone~ we just don't know who yet. Who dies when and and where is not our decision anymore, and this should be our primary concern as a Democratic (HAHA) society.